196th LIB History
Arrived Vietnam 14 August 1966
Departed Vietnam 29 June 1972
The 196th Light Infantry Brigade shoulder patch has a double headed match design lighted on both ends that signifies readiness. The blue shading signifies infantry, while the yellow shading signifies cavalry, and the red for artillery. The 196th Light Infantry Brigade was activated on September 15, 1965 at Fort Devens, MA.
In 1921, the 196th Light Infantry Brigade was constituted as an element of the Army Reserve's 98th Division, with the responsibility for training soldiers. During WWII, the 98th initially defended Kauai, Hawaii and Maui, Hawaii, and finally responsible for defending Oahu, Hawaii later in the war.
The Division began intensive training in May of 1945 to prepare for the invasion of Japan, but the war ended before they could depart Hawaii. However, the unit arrived in Japan for occupation duty as the 3rd Platoon, 98th Reconnaissance Troop Mechanized, of the 98th Infantry Division, where it eventually was inactivated on February 16, 1946, Osaka, Japan.
The 196th Light Infantry Brigade was reactivated again in September 1965 at Fort Devens, where it was originally scheduled to be sent to the Dominican Republic, but was rushed to Vietnam on July 15, 1966 via transport ships, arriving at Tay Ninh city on August 14, 1966, where it began combat operations in the western area of III Corps. The 196th conducted Operations Cedar Falls, Gadsen, Lancaster, Junction City, Benton, and Attleboro (War Zone C of the Tay Ninh Province), where it turned into a major action after a large enemy base was found in October, 1966.
In April, 1967, the 196th was selected, along with the 1st Brigade, the 101st Airborne Division and 3rd Brigade, and the 25th Infantry Division, to form a temporary division unit called Task Force Oregon, where it was converted into the 23rd Infantry Division, or Americal, on September 25, 1967, and participated in Operations Wheeler/Wallowa, Golden Fleece, Fayette Canyon, Frederick Hill, Lamar Plain, Elk Canyon I, and Elk Canyon II. On November 29, 1971, the 196th became a separate temporary entity to safeguard this same area of operations.
In April, 1971, the 196th moved to Da Nang to assist in port security duties, and left Vietnam on June 29, 1972, as the last combat brigade to leave Vietnam. The brigade suffered 1004 KIA, and 5591 WIA while in Vietnam.
On May 26, 1998, the 196th was reactivated during a ceremony at Ft Shafter, Hawaii. The new brigade assists reserve units in Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, American Samoa, and Japan, as a Training Support Brigade, providing support to Reserve Component Forces throughout the Pacific theater.
The 3rd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment was originally constituted on 1 July 1916 in the Regular Army as Troops E and F, 24th Cavalry. It was organized on 5 June 1917 at Fort D. A. Russell, WY.
It was consolidated, converted, and redesignated on 1 November 1917 as Battery C, 82nd Field Artillery, an element of the 15th Cavalry Division(the 82nd Field Artillery was relieved in May 1918 from assignment to the 15th Cavalry Division).
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 9 September 1921 as Battery C, 82nd Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 1st Cavalry Division. It was again reorganized and redesignated on 17 March 1930 as Battery C, 82nd Field Artillery. before inactivating on 1 December 1934 at Fort Bliss, TX.
Redesignated on 3 January 1941 as Battery C, 82nd Field Artillery Battalion, it reactivated at Fort Bliss, TX. It inactivated on 15 October 1957 in Japan and was relieved from assignment to the 1st Cavalry Division.
Redesignated 1 June 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 3rd Gun Battalion, 82nd Artillery (with its organic elements concurrently constituted), the battalion activated on 25 June 1958 in Germany. It inactivated there on 20 December 1963.
Redesignated on 10 September 1964 as the 3rd Battalion, 82nd Artillery, it was reassigned to the 196th Infantry Brigade and activated on 15 September 1965 at Fort Devens, MA.
It was relieved on 15 February 1969 from its assignment to the 196th Infantry Brigade and assigned to the 23rd Infantry Division.
Redesignated on 1 September 1971 as the 3rd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery, it was relieved on 1 November 1971 from its assignment to the 23rd Infantry Division and assigned to the 196th Infantry Brigade. It inactivated on 30 June 1972 at Oakland, CA, and was relieved from its assignment to the 196th Infantry Brigade.
Reassigned on 16 June 1986 to the 1st Cavalry Division, the 3rd Battalion reactivated at Fort Hood, TX.